General Directorate of Military Factories was established in 2016. The organization consists of 27 military factories in total; all located in different regions in Turkey. These are:
- 8 Main Maintenance Factory Directorates
- 12 Maintenance Factory Directorates
- 3 Aeronautic Maintenance Factory Directorates
- 3 Textile Factory Directorates and
- 1 Pharmaceutical Factory Directorate.
General Directorate of Military Factories, with its 27 factories, conducts repair, maintenance, construction, renovation, modernization as well as other modes of support for the inventories in order to keep the Turkish Armed Forces at the maximum level of readiness in the state of war. Military Factories perform these activities with its 16,000 highly skilled and experienced manpower and strong technological infrastructure.
Additionally, integrating the capacity of the military factories with the domestic economy, it is intended to give factories a place in the market yet, preserving the main duty of the factories which is to support the Turkish Armed Forces.
Through cooperation with the domestic industry, it is aimed at making significant progress in the modernization processes for the Armed Forces inventories, and contribute to the target of diminishing foreign-source dependency.
Products and services that are produced for the land and air systems by the military factories are summarized below:
- T-155 Motor Carriage FIRTINA Howitzer and POYRAZ Ammunition Vehicle production
- Modernization of main battle tanks, motor carriage howitzer, armed combat vehicles etc.
- Maintenance of helicopters and jets besides their motors and other subsystems,
- Modernization of land and air systems’ structures and avionics
- Production of spare parts for all systems in the inventory including ballistic, standard, optic, palette, and moving part design and production
- Technical management of arms / systems
- Developing and integrating arms /systems for aerial platforms, avionics integration, airplane structural design and analysis processes